Thursday 10 January 2008

The Black City

I picked up John Marco's The Jackal of Nar on impulse several years back, and it turned out to be a good decision. His Tyrants and Kings trilogy is right up there with the best of epic fantasy. The second book in particular, The Grand Design, is one of the best novels I've read in recent years.

Although I've not read his Eyes of God trilogy (I still have that pleasure to come) I've always kept tabs on what John's been up to, as I really liked the refreshing slant he worked with Tyrants and Kings, where he mixed both magic and technology. How many books do you get that have both magic and machines that launch cannisters of poisonous gas? Not many.

Anyway, to the point of this post: I just thought I'd point out that John maintains a great blog where he talks about many things, including the writing life. It makes interesting reading for both fans and those (such as myself) who also aspire to write fantasy. John's a really nice guy and more than willing to discuss points that readers raise on his blog.

John's now looking to get a new website up and running, so that's something else for his fans to look forward to.

Check out John's blog, The Black City, here: http://www.johnmarco.com/

2 comments:

Tia Nevitt said...

It looks like you've made a good start here with your blog. Thanks for the linkage and I'll look forward to seeing your future posts.

James said...

Cheers Tia! You have the dubious honour of being the first reader to post a comment on Speculative Horizons. You don't get a prize or anything though, other than my gratitude.

Thanks for your interest and please do stick around!