Monday, 11 August 2008

Book splurge...

I wandered into an Oxfam 'Emporium' at the weekend, just to see if they had any decent second-hand genre books. As it happens, they had a lot. I therefore staggered out of the store with the following:

The Eyes of God (John Marco)

A Sword from Red Ice (J. V. Jones - hardcover for £2.99, when it retails at around £17.99...absolute steal)

Jarka Ruus (Terry Brooks - hardback)

Haunted (James Herbert)

In addition, my other half picked up the first two novels - both hardback copies - in Cecelia Dart-Thornton's Crowthistle Chronicles.

The above six books - four in hardback - came to under £20. I've said it before and I'll say it again - charity shops are awesome.

In other news, I've finished The Inferior and will post a review shortly. I also note that Aidan has tagged me in the latest meme frenzy, so I will be responding in kind...


Gabriele C. said...

Can you review Eyes of God when you've read it? My itchy mouse finger is hoovering over Marco's Lukian trilogy on Amazon since I read your post about him.

Shall I click? :)

James said...

I'll definitely review The Eyes of God when I get around to it...though I've no idea when that will be.

Can't recommend the Lukien trilogy as I've never read it, but I can safely say Tyrants and Kings is a very good trilogy. Not for everyone's tastes though.

Gabriele C. said...

OK, I'll give it a try.

Both Marco's trilogies get very mixed reviews, but since half of them are written by only barely literate people esp. on Amazon, I don't put much weight on them. I usually fare better with the review blogs.

If I like the Lukian books, Tyrants and Kings will be up for grab as well (right now, they have 3 weeks delivery on while the Lukian books are in stock).