Tuesday 23 June 2009

GRRM announces progress with ADWD...

George R. R. Martin has given his first update on ADWD for a while. Actually, it's not really an update as such...but it's still a positive bit of news for fans:

"I almost hate to say anything here, for fear of jinxing it... but for what it's worth, the last six weeks or so have been the most productive period I've had on A DANCE WITH DRAGONS in... well... a year at least, maybe several. In the last three days I've completed three new chapters. Not from scratch, mind you, these were all chapters that had been partially written, and in some cases rewritten, for months if not years. But they're finally done, and I've just reread them, and I'm almost convinced that they're Not Crap.

I'm feeling rather jazzed right now, and for the first time in a very long while, I think I can see a glimmering that might just be a light at the end of the tunnel."

Sounds like the end is just about in sight, meaning that a 2010 release should still be on the cards.

4 comments:

logankstewart said...

It seems so long ago since the last novel that I can barely remember what's happened in Westeros. Ahh, the curse of reading unfinished series...

James said...

You're not alone...I'm going to have re-read the series before the next book comes out.

Jebus said...

I am VERY seriously considering doing here what I have done with Jordan's Wheel of Time and a few other author's and series and just buying the books and not reading them until the series is finished. Otherwise I just have to re-read the entire series again each time a book is released just so I don't have all those "WTF?" moments. With the WoT I've got another 3 years to wait (I think I stopped at book 7 or 8) before I give myself permission to read the entire series, how long could I wait for GRRM?

That being said I'll find it very damned difficult to do as it is one of my fave series. But on the other hand there are literally dozens of unread books on my shelves and plenty of other finished series and stand alones to make it extremely viable.

Has anyone else had a bit of a backlash against unfinished or dragging series like I have? I just got sick to death of waiting and also reading people's theories and analysis of every little aspect of the books. I'm finding it refreshing buying up an entire series and reading it all in one go, it's almost an unheard of phenomenon these days.

Of course with authors like Erikson, Feist and Abercrombie I read them as soon as they come out 'cause I trust that they can actually stick to deadlines and I'll only have to wait a year, maybe one and a half at the most.

Don't take this as a whinge against GRRM - it'll take him as long as it takes and I accept that - I'm just at the stage where I'm now prepared to wait and read it in it's entirety rather than the piecemeal we've been getting. actually I guess it's more a rant at myself for having to re-read the whole series before each new one is released.

James said...

I know what you mean Jebus, it's a fair point. As sad as it sounds, the next time I read the series through I'm actually considering taking notes so I don't have to keep re-reading the series each time a new book comes out. Or use an online resource - there's one called Tower of the Hand or something, which is very good.