Wednesday 7 July 2010

Malazan re-read at Tor.com

I've read both Steven Erikson's Gardens of the Moon and Deadhouse Gates, as well as Ian Cameron Esslemont's Night of Knives, but decided some time ago to wait until the Malazan Book of the Fallen series was complete before going back and reading all ten novels (I was contemplating reading them all back-to-back, but given their size and my reading speed, that might not be so advisable...).

Interestingly, Tor.com have had a similar idea. Here's a press release I received earlier today:
"Calling all Malaz fans!! In a few minutes, Tor.com will launch the epic fantasy re-read of the novels by Steven Erikson and Ian C. Esslemont’s in their co-created Malazan Empire world. Modeled after Leigh Butler’s fabulous Wheel of Time re-read, capable bloggers and fantasy critics Bill Capossere and Amanda Rutter (FantasyLiterature.com) will reintroduce Whiskeyjack, Anomander Rake, Quick Ben, Kalam Mekhar, Fiddler, Iskaral Pust, and all the other great characters from this dark and complex fantasy world, a few chapters at a time. And with the completion of each book in the re-read, Steven Erikson and Ian C. Esslemont will weigh in with their reactions to the posts, comments, ideas, and theories of the fans and bloggers."
Sounds pretty cool, no? Should be interesting to see not just what Bill and Amanda think about the books, but also how Erikson and Esslemont respond to the points they raise.

There's already a hefty introductory post up, which provides more detailed on how the whole gig is going to work, while the first entry in the series - examining the prologue and first chapter of the excellent Gardens of the Moon - has also been posted, and has already generated some debate.

I'll certainly be following this undertaking (well, for the first two books anyway), as it could throw up some really interesting points for further discussion.

Best of luck to Bill and Amanda in this epic undertaking...

7 comments:

Jeff C said...

I've read Night of Knives, and Gardens of the Moon (twice)...and decided to wait, also. However, like you, with my reading speed, I could probably read 1 per month starting now, and that would finish me up just as book 10 hits the shelves.

I kinda want to go ahead and read Return of the Crimson Guard, even though it takes place around Malazan book 5 I believe? I figure my memory is bad enough I can read it and still not ruin the Erikson books :)

Jebus said...

I'll try to but I'm not very good at following other people's re-reads of series' that I like. actually I can barely stomach discussing the pros and cons of books in general and am astounded at the amount of time and effort some people can put into posting their musings about characters and events from Malazan, WoT and ASoIaF.

If you're into that kind fo thing, cool, but I'm a person who likes to read a book and enjoy it rather than wonder and ponder as to the meanings of prophecies, who killed Asmodean or who Jon's parents are - I figure the author will reveal it all in good time, and if they don't it can just remain a mystery.

I'm planning a re-read starting in November or December, not sure if I'll re-read the ICE books along with SE's, possibly maybe.

JEFF C - RotCG has a MAJOR spoiler for an event that affects the Malaz series, only read it after Toll the Hounds.

Dan Smyth said...

Read Memories of Ice now, James. Seriously good book. I loved it every bit as much as GotM, if not more, and it made making it all the way through DG (which took me three separate attempts) completely worth the effort. MoI is as far as I've read in the series so far and I can't wait for the rest, but you need an "awesome cap" if you're going to sit on this series for a while. And MoI will give you exactly that.

Kat Hooper said...

I've been meaning to start this series for years. Now's a good time! Bill and Amanda will do a great job!

Maurice said...

I am rereading them myself, but there are just so many good books to read and the list keeps piling up! I planned to catch up this year and I will have to a.s.a.p to avoid spoilers.

Oh, and James, if you haven't already, I highly recommend you read Anathem by Stephenson. I looked around on the blogs I frequent and was shocked to see that no one had reviewed it!

James said...

Jeff - that's my problem, I'm a pretty slow reader and if I read the entire series back-to-back, it would take me six months! Which is too big a commitment. I'm not too sure how the timeline works between the two series.

Jebus - well, each to his own. I quite enjoy seeing other peoples' thoughts on certain aspects of a novel - often I'll realise I've missed something they've picked up on.

Dan - yes, I've heard very good things about A Memory of Ice. One of the reasons I think I struggled with Deadhouse Gates was the fact that it just upped sticks to a different continent and most of the characters from the first book didn't appear. I hear that A Memory of Ice rectifies that...

Maurice - I think it's because Anathem is so bloody big! It's so huge it's scary!

Maurice said...

It is bloody huge and not something I would recommend to everyone, but if you are into conspiracy theories, weird and amazing science and a painstakingly detailed new world, then yes, read it soon :D