Thursday 17 December 2009

Alan Campbell on life as a writer

Alan Campbell, author of the Deepgate Codex, doesn't blog that often. When he does, his posts are usually entertaining. Take his latest post for example - 'Life as a Writer.' This isn't a post about his daily routine or the writing process or whatever, but rather a series of amusing little revelations about his experiences as an author. 

Here's a snippet: 

"The day after the book launch, I drove Hal Duncan, my editor Peter Lavery, and my agent Simon Kavanagh back to my place, which is out in the country. The sun was shining and Hal and Simon sang "Road to Amarillo" in ridiculously loud voices. 

Whenever I hear that song now, it makes me smile."

I love reading little quirky insights into writer's lives - far more interesting than the usual stuff like "So, I got some fan mail today...then I wrote 2k words..." 

Really need to try and read Scar Night. Two attempts so far, and both abandoned though I can't say for sure why. I still think the prologue is a brilliant opening, and there's some great stuff in there, but for some reason it just doesn't work for me. However, I'm thinking it might be a case of "right book, wrong time" which does happen now and again. We'll see...

No comments: